Is your current job throwing out the balance and limiting your personal growth? Do you sometimes find yourself operating on auto-pilot? Well you’re not alone in this and the only person that can help you out of this space is yourself. Here are a few suggested ways that have worked for many of my clients:
• Re-connect with the child within you. As a child you knew personal greatness, you also acted without fear and knew no limitations, as an adult you became blinded by social conditioning, negativity and layers of conformity.
• Take a day or two to create two lists. The first list should hold the things and aspects that jump right out at you. For example; I have a friend whose eyes light up every time she talks about fashion and she literally comes to life when she pages through a fashion magazine. Use details to include your interests, passions, strengths and talents. Your second list should include what you will require to be able to reach your dream job. For example; you might secretly be a social media guru and you know a lot about the different functionalities of social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Google + and LinkedIn etc. Marketing & Public Relations come naturally to you, and social media consultancy is calling out your name, however you lack a qualification in social media. So you would try to bridge this gap by obtaining a qualification in social media.
• Be realistic. You still need to foot the bills such as, rent, transport, food, etc. I recommend creating a budget, eliminate items of luxury, sell unwanted items and find ways of saving money (such as cycling to work instead of using your car or public transport). Hold onto your current job while completing your qualification and executing the rest of your plan.
• Your current job might not hold the best of working conditions or maybe you hate your boss but try engaging in your work. By focusing on doing a good job and on the possibilities of success, you will spend less energy and time on reasons for not liking your job. Adjust your attitude and you will create the space to improve your current work situation (your boss might end up being good to you and treating you with the respect you deserve).
• Once you are certified/ accredited in your field, it is time to showcase your talents. Start creating noise in the right circles, attend networking events, build professional relationships online and offline. Engage in part time projects that is going to boost your credibility. When you start living from within your energy changes and so does circumstances.
• Most importantly surround yourself with a positive circle of influence that will fuel your dreams and inspire you to take action on a daily basis. Your greatest sources will be your siblings, family, career coach and watching motivational videos.